Oncology (General Cancer)/Mole on back

Question
QUESTION: I have a mole that has grown on my back in the last month, and is rather large, and from what I can tell is red in color. A few weeks back, it bled and bled a lot, I would say for a good 20 minutes non stop. I was finally able to get it to clot and then was able to bandage it. It has not bled since, but it has gotten bigger. I know I should go in to get it looked at, but without insurance, it going to be close to $1000 to have it removed. I have already called a the doctors office I had went to when I was insured. Is there other places where I can just have it removed without it being checked. I have no way to pay for any treatment if there was something. I just want it removed so I do risk bumping it and having it bleed again. I am 50 years old, and I have read that moles after 50 are a concern. I could send a photo to you to show you what it looks like. I also live in MN, and have checked for insurance, but can not afford the monthly premiums.

ANSWER: Well Elisabeth, first of all a doctor HAS TO check your mole - insurance or no insurance! Your description of it makes me think it may not be what I would call a mole at all. If it is what I think it may be it would not be dangerous at all. If so just a look by a doctor MAY be enough to find that out. Mind you, I can not promise that but you - I suppose - can ask a doctor to just have a look at it? Right? And that would probably not be THAT expensive. From that on we will see where we are and will end up. Just pictures are not enough though. Please do keep me posted!

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!

QUESTION: Thank you for your reply. I am going in to have it looked at tomorrow at the doctors I used to go to. I will keep you posted. I do hope it isn't dangerous, it was just something I never experienced.

Answer
Good! Please do keep me posted!

Oncology (General Cancer)

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.