Oncology (General Cancer)/Mole

I have recently noticed a mole on my thigh. It has a lighter brown area next to it which it's hard to tell if it actually part of the mole. I tanned a lot in my teenage years so I am always concerned about melanoma. Do you think I should contact a dermatologist or just watch and wait and see if there are any changes?

If this is a new mole, or you haven't noticed it before, I'd either check it our right now, or measure it carefully (taking a picture) and re-measuring it in a month.  If there isn't any change, I might just continue to do this until a change is noticed or six months go by.  Also, you might want to go to this site and check out the actual pictures (ABCDE's of melanoma)  It's pretty accurate.  http://www.skincancer.org/skin-cancer-information/melanoma#panel1-2   Hope this helps.  

Oncology (General Cancer)

Donald Higby, M.D.

I can answer almost all questions related to the treatment and natural course of most kinds of cancer, especially cancers of prostate, colon, lung and breast.

I have been a practicing medical oncologist for 36 years, and have been chief of service at a major medical center for 25 years. I've also done research in cancer treatments.

American Society of Clinical Oncology

New England Journal of Medicine American Journal of Medicine Journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology Hematology Transfusion Medicine

MD, Stanford University Internal Medicine residency, St. Louis University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO Medical Oncology Fellowship, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY

America's Best Physicians, last 14 years