Oncology (General Cancer)/Neck

Question
In may I had a neck biopsy on a lymph node in the submandibular triangle. The node could not be felt from the outside of my neck but I could feel it from the inside when I moved my neck certain ways. The doctor did a ct which showed what I was feeling was an enlarged lymph node. I went in for a biopsy and when the ENT removed the node he said it was very embedded so the scar was larger than planned. It was 2 cm also. My question is when they remove a lymph node in the neck in this area would it be located directly below the skin or would he have to cut through other tissue to way to it esp since it was embedded and not felt from the outside? Now when I turn my neck to left on the side the biopsy was done about an inch above the biopsy scar and right below the submandibular gland it feels different like its more open. When I feel that area on the other side of my neck it feels harder like there is a muscle or something there. There is no open space or void there. I am not sure if this is because of the biopsy or if this is a normal thing for me. Is the neck symmetrical. Should I get this checked out at all? I had a ct three months ago that didn't show anything else abnormal but the enlarger nodes.

Answer
If the biopsy was difficult and the node was "embedded" the surgeon probably incised or removed some normal tissue.  There may very well be a defect in the area operated on.  I would not worry unless things are changing.  And you have to remember that it takes about six months for wound healing to be complete.  I wouldn't be alarmed unless things change or begin to hurt.  Hope this helps.  

Oncology (General Cancer)

Donald Higby, M.D.