Oncology (General Cancer)/spindle cell tumor

Mu friend was just diagnosed with spindle cell tumor on her liver.  Is there a treatment for this?  What are her chances for a cure?  Will she need a transplant or is it even an option?  Thank you for your help!

Spindle cell tumors are those in which "spindle cells" make up most of the tissue on biopsy.  commonly this can be found in certain sarcomas, but some other tumors can form spindle cells as well.  If the tumor is on her liver, and it is the only one in the body, it's worth trying t5o remove it or treat it in place by radiofrequency ablation.  If it is in several other places, chemotherapy may be tried but doesn't cure anyone.  Transplants are generally not an option when cancer is involved, since for the transplant to take, the immune system must be suppressed, and that may promote cancer growth if not all the cancer cells have been removed.  On the other hand, certain centers are experimenting with partial liver transplants in these kinds of situation.  So in answer to your question, I'd need to know more about the spindle cell tumor and the other studies that have been done, as well as the general health of the patient, in order to be more specific.  Hope this helps.  

Oncology (General Cancer)

Donald Higby, M.D.

I can answer almost all questions related to the treatment and natural course of most kinds of cancer, especially cancers of prostate, colon, lung and breast.

I have been a practicing medical oncologist for 36 years, and have been chief of service at a major medical center for 25 years. I've also done research in cancer treatments.

American Society of Clinical Oncology

New England Journal of Medicine American Journal of Medicine Journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology Hematology Transfusion Medicine

MD, Stanford University Internal Medicine residency, St. Louis University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO Medical Oncology Fellowship, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY

America's Best Physicians, last 14 years