Oncology (General Cancer)/subcutainios lumps

My husband was diagnosed May 23, 2011 with Stage 4 Lung cancer with metasis to brain, adrenal glands. He is now on Hospice care. He has nodules, or lumps on his back, shoulder, stomach and one above his knee. Some of them are pretty big and very painful. It seems like another one shows up every day or two. Is this a "end of life" sign!   I know the prognosis,  but am curious to how long his body can handle this, he is 59 years old!

Tender nodules in a person with advanced lung cancer can be due to the cancer itself growing in or under the skin (metastases), or to infection, or possibly due to vasculitis (inflammation of blood vessels).  Whatever it is, it's a very bad sign, and suggests that he doesn't have long.  I hope he is getting adequate amounts of pain medicine.  I would not expect him to survive more than two or three weeks.  I'm sorry for you and for him.  

Oncology (General Cancer)

Donald Higby, M.D.

I can answer almost all questions related to the treatment and natural course of most kinds of cancer, especially cancers of prostate, colon, lung and breast.

I have been a practicing medical oncologist for 36 years, and have been chief of service at a major medical center for 25 years. I've also done research in cancer treatments.

American Society of Clinical Oncology

New England Journal of Medicine American Journal of Medicine Journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology Hematology Transfusion Medicine

MD, Stanford University Internal Medicine residency, St. Louis University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO Medical Oncology Fellowship, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY

America's Best Physicians, last 14 years