Oncology (General Cancer)/Complications with HPV

Hello, my mother-in-law has been battling with HPV for almost 10 years.  Due to complications with the HPV she has had a stint in her kidney for over 5 years and it has been replaced multiple times each year.  On Monday she was feeling worse than usual and went to the hospital where she went into septic shock and had a heart attack.  The nurse told me that the stint is being drained and she is on a ventilator.  They said she is kind of responding to the antibiotics but she is heavily sedated and not very responsive.  I am wondering what her likelihood of pulling through and successfully being taken off the ventilator.  The nurse had told me it wasn't looking good and if it were her family she would go to her.  I live in Florida and she lives in Upstate NY.  Could you give me some insight into the odds of her recovery from this?

Thank you,

I can't answer your question because I don't have enough information.  I'm surprised that her problems are being blamed on HPV -- I've not heard of kidney obstruction being caused bgy that.  Septic shock and a heart attack, in anyone carries a mortality level, especially if it results in admission to an ICU.  If the nurse told you that things weren't looking good, he/she is conveying a message from the physician in charge, and it's probably accurate.  I think the odds of recovery for someone with septic shock and a heart attack, who has pre-existing kidney problems, is about 25%.  

Oncology (General Cancer)

Donald Higby, M.D.

I can answer almost all questions related to the treatment and natural course of most kinds of cancer, especially cancers of prostate, colon, lung and breast.

I have been a practicing medical oncologist for 36 years, and have been chief of service at a major medical center for 25 years. I've also done research in cancer treatments.

American Society of Clinical Oncology

New England Journal of Medicine American Journal of Medicine Journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology Hematology Transfusion Medicine

MD, Stanford University Internal Medicine residency, St. Louis University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO Medical Oncology Fellowship, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY

America's Best Physicians, last 14 years