Oncology (General Cancer)/HPV

I am a 59 yr old female, I had a 'bad' pap smear in 1993 when still living in the UK, I had a leep procedure in the US. In 1999 I had a full hysterectomy because of a large fibroid. My gynecologist only thinks I should have a pap smear every 5 years but I have heard after having a 'bad' pap smear I am susceptible to other cancers, there has been a lot of publicity about this and I am a bit worried. Should I be having an HPV test regularly? Also is my husband of almost 20 years be in danger? Thank you

Pap smears are recommended to evaluate for cervical cancer and precancerous conditions of the cervix.  You don't have a cervix anymore.  As for pap smears after the hysterectomy, there are mixed opinions about whether they alter outcome; yes, those paps might show vaginal wall changes, but those are much less common than changes in the cervix.  As for HPV, if you have had a test and it was negative, and you only have one sexual partner and so does he, I don't think you need to worry, nor does he.  As for being more susceptible to other cancers,  I actually don't know of that being the case because of a "bad " pap smear; but if you are HPV positive, there are other possible sites where you could get HPV related changes depending on sexual habits.  However, if I were you I'd just go along with your gyn/s advice at this point.  Hope this helps.  

Oncology (General Cancer)

Donald Higby, M.D.

I can answer almost all questions related to the treatment and natural course of most kinds of cancer, especially cancers of prostate, colon, lung and breast.

I have been a practicing medical oncologist for 36 years, and have been chief of service at a major medical center for 25 years. I've also done research in cancer treatments.

American Society of Clinical Oncology

New England Journal of Medicine American Journal of Medicine Journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology Hematology Transfusion Medicine

MD, Stanford University Internal Medicine residency, St. Louis University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO Medical Oncology Fellowship, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY

America's Best Physicians, last 14 years