Oncology (General Cancer)/Ovarian cysts

Question
Hello doctor

I recently asked you a question About my tender ovaries. I went for a transvaginal ultrasound a couple of days ago. The report says I have small hemorrhagic physiological ovarian cysts both sides. Rt 2.3 cm (1 inch) Lt 1.2 cm.  My doctor didnt want to see me following the ultrasound and said the cysts were functional and nothing to worry about. He didnt say that I needed a repeat ultrasound.
Do you think I need additional attention or can I just leave it at that?  I still have ovarian tenderness and mild back pain. My doctor also had me do a CA125 test and although I do not have those results, I am assuming its normal as I have not been told otherwise.
Thank you again for your time.

Answer
Ovarian cysts are spots in the ovary where an egg was released, leaving behind a little cavity.  Sometimes these bleed a bit, and blood can cause tenderness in the ovary.  Some women are quite prone to cysts, and there is a disease calle "polycystic ovary syndrome" in which multiple cysts in both ovaries form.  Finally, some women who are on birth control pills can be troubled with cysts in the ovary.  From the description you gave, though, I don't think you have to worry about ovarian cancer, and I wouldn't do any more images unless things change a lot. Hope this helps.  

Oncology (General Cancer)

Donald Higby, M.D.