Oncology (General Cancer)/Pain in Back

Question
Patient Age-75(Female),suffering from pain for a long time.MRI of LS Spine was done,Radiologist report shows Osteophytes.But the attending Doctor has advised for CT Guided Needle Biopsy.Another Doctor is saying at this age CT Guided Needle Biopsy is RISKY ,better go for a PET.
My questions
1)   But so far as I know PET Scan is no alternative to Biopsy and gives only a rough idea,although  CT Guided Needle Biopsy involves some risk
2)ANOTHER DOCTOR SAYS CANCER(IF DETECTED) IN BONE CANNOT ORIGINATE IN THE BONE ITSELF FIRST.THE ROOT MUST BE ELSEWHERE
  We are confused .   Please help by answering (1) and (2)with a suggestion

Answer
1. What you think is correct. PET is of help but can not replace a biopsy. BUT osteophytes have nothing to do with cancer. They are signs of mechanical strain on bones in the spine. So as far as I can understand there is no reason to do any biopsy. 2. Well, "cancer" can develop in bones, then it is called sarcoma. But it is more commonly originating elsewhere and then spreads to bone. In that case however prognosis is usually very bad so not much use in finding the origin. However in this case with only osteophytes I see no reason to suspect cancer.And therefore no reason for any biopsy or any further cancer search!

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!

Oncology (General Cancer)

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.