Oncology (General Cancer)/terminal liver cancer(estimate of life left)

my mother in law was diagnosed with liver cancer bout 2 1/2- 3 months ago(they said bile duct cancer)after having her gull bladder removed the doctors said that her tomers were growing bout a cm a day they gave her 4 months to live. she refused treatment because doctors said it more then likely wouldnt make  difference because they had caught it in the final stages. recently within the last 2 weeks- week and a half she has pretty much stopped eating and drinking and within the last few days she has stopped peeing and pooping they put in catheters for both and still nothing. yesterday my husband said she has periods where when he talks to her she doesn't respond. this morning hospice came in and put her on oxygen cause her levels dropped and on liquid morphine and cancelled all her other meds i was just wondering about how long we have left with her?

From your description, I'd guess a week or two.  Usually when they cancel all the meds and turn to morphine and oxygen, the time is short.  I agree that with end stage liver cancer as you describe there's not much you can do.  Sorry to hear about your mother in law.  I hope things move along peacefully.  

Oncology (General Cancer)

Donald Higby, M.D.

I can answer almost all questions related to the treatment and natural course of most kinds of cancer, especially cancers of prostate, colon, lung and breast.

I have been a practicing medical oncologist for 36 years, and have been chief of service at a major medical center for 25 years. I've also done research in cancer treatments.

American Society of Clinical Oncology

New England Journal of Medicine American Journal of Medicine Journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology Hematology Transfusion Medicine

MD, Stanford University Internal Medicine residency, St. Louis University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO Medical Oncology Fellowship, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY

America's Best Physicians, last 14 years