Oncology (General Cancer)/Worried about ovarian cancer

Question
Hello Doctor

I am 33 year old female. I have three children. My youngest was born one year ago. After having her I noticed tender areas on my lower abdomen when I applied pressure. I had a transvaginal ultrasound as well as an abdominal ultrasound. My doctor didnt call me back so I'm assuming they were fine.
About 6 weeks ago I felt cramping and a dull pain coming from my LLQ. I started poking around and felt that my ovary was tender when I pushed down on it. I have since noticed that both ovaries feel tender when I push down hard on them. No bloating or anything. My weight is consisten as is my appetite. I do have nausea that comes nd goes and I also have been urinating more often the last three days (conciding with my return to work following my maternity leave). I am soooo scared to go see my doctor. Google tells me it's ovarian cancer. I am pretty much convinced of this especially since I just started with the frequent urination.
What do you think ??  My doctor probably won't even want to run anymore tests because he has done so much testing on me. I had an abdominal MRI 1.5 years ago and a colonoscopy 8 months ago. All normal.
Any advice would be much appreciated!

Answer
At 33, unless there is a lot of ovarian cancer in your family, I doubt there is even a small possibility of OC.  On the other hand, tender ovaries are not unusual, and sometimes they get more tender depending on the phase of your menstrual cycle. Some women have polycystic ovaries and they can be tender and enlarged, but that's not cancer.  Your frequent urination and nausea might be a sign of a urinary tract infection.  I think that if your ultrasounds were negative I wouldnt' worry.  The bottom line is that there is no good way to detect ovarian cancer in the earliest stages.  Best bet is to get your regular pelvic exams.  Your gynecologist can feel your ovaries and doesn't need much more than that to determine if everything is normal.  Hope this helps.  

Oncology (General Cancer)

Donald Higby, M.D.