Oncology (General Cancer)/Ovarian cysts

I have had pain in my ovary area and a tender lower abdomen for about two and a half months. One month ago I had a transvaginal ultrasound.
My doctor sent me this text about my results: small hemorrhagic (painful) physiological (not pathological) ovarian cysts both sides. Rt 2.3 cm (1 inch) Lt 1.2 cm. Nothing to worry about. Can repeat in 4 months just to make sure they shrink which I expect they will.

I am worried because I am still having pain, especially on the left side. And I have frequent urination but this is not consistent.
My questions are:
1. Can the ultrasound distinguish between normal cysts and cancer with certainty?
2. Can the cysts I have turn to cancer down the road?
3. It's been almost three months and I am still in pain (I assume the cysts are still there). Is it normal to have cysts last this long?

I also had a ca125 test which came back at 18.

Thank you for your time

1. There are no tests of any kind available that can give you a 100% certainty. We can come close but not to 100%. However based on the description it is most probable that these are non pathological and benign cysts. Your low CA 125 also supports that. That is why your doctor told you not to worry!
2. See above. Probably not.
3. It is not unheard of. But you should have the follow up your doctor suggests. Good luck!

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!

Oncology (General Cancer)

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.

Questions concerning Cancer, Oncology, radiation Therapy, Tumours, Chemotherapy, Cytotoxic Drugs, Hormonal Therapy, Radiation Protection.

I'm a Doctor of Medicine and specialist in Medical Oncology and Radiation Therapy educated & trained in Sweden. Now retired. Background in Radiation Therapy, Medical Oncology, Radiation Protection, Nuclear Medicine, Diagnostic Radiology, Gynecological Oncology, Clinical Pathology, Clinical Cytology,Hematology and Internal Medicine. M.D. from the faculty of medicine, Royal Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden. Have also been an exchange student at the Hebrew University, Hadassah Medical School, Jerusalem Israel. Former medical consultant, Swedish National Board of Radiation Protection. Former Police Surgeon and Medical Examiner, Stockholm Police Department. Former Chief Medical Officer, The Royal Guards, The Royal Horse Guards and the Royal Household Brigade, Royal Swedish Army Medical Corps. You can also reach me on: http://www.lifestylerescue.com/expert/health-fitness-advice/dr-claes-gustaf/128 I have no restrictions in the number of questions there. I also answer questions in these other categories: General History, Military History, Brain Tumors, Breast Cancer, Colon Cancer

I'm a medical doctor and specialist in medical oncology and radiation therapy