Oncology (General Cancer)/Low blood levels

My son is 29 years old he is having issues with his body producing red and white blood cells.  He has had 5 bone marrows and they all come back that nothing is wrong.  His current hematologist is lost. He has been giving my son IVIG treatments once a month and nuelasta the whites have come up but do not stay up unless he gets the two treatments.  His reds are not staying up. He had a blood test on a Tuesday and his reds were 8.9 and on Sunday they were 7.1. He had seizure on Sunday and his potassium,calcium,magnesium and sodium were all low. We have been to the siteman cancer center in St.Louis and currently is in St.Louis University Hospital he has had 4 pints of blood since Sunday and his blood has come up to 8.8. He is on a respirator due to he aspirated when he had the seizure.  We are lost as to why he is not producing his red and white.  His hypothalamus does not function properly and he is on hormone replacements.  No one seems to know what to do for him.  His iron levels are high due to all the blood transfusions.  His platelets also run low.  He has a low body temperature most of the time. He actually has a high fever due to he normally runs 94 to 95 and his temp is running around 99.  His first blood transfusion was when he was 16 and he is now 29. The last few years things have gotten worse as to how often he needs blood transfusions.  It would be greatly appreciated if you have any ideas as to what is going on.  No one so far has been able to help us.  He can't keep doing this.  He did receive a Procrit shot back in May or June of last year and he had good levels for a while,but now they are going back down, so the doctor gave him another shot and it has not helped this time.  He also got 7 pints of blood in March of last year due to this condition. We are really concerned with the iron levels which are extremely high but he has to get a blood transfusion.  I hope you can help

Your description seems to indicate a condition where the bone marrow stops producing blood. The fact that all cellular blood elements (red cells, white cells & platelets) seem to be involved supports this. Your son receives erythropoietin injections for this but they too seem to start to fail. The fact that he has iron prblems (a lot of iron coming in with blood transfusions & food & very little being used up in blood production) also supports this. There are such conditions, some of them not very well understood and with unknown etiology. From your description it is very likely that he suffers from one of these conditions. Therapy possibilities are extremely limitid at present and the prognosis unfortunately remains poor. So all known facts point in the same direction. I am sorry I have nothing better to tell you!

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!

Oncology (General Cancer)

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.

Questions concerning Cancer, Oncology, radiation Therapy, Tumours, Chemotherapy, Cytotoxic Drugs, Hormonal Therapy, Radiation Protection.

I'm a Doctor of Medicine and specialist in Medical Oncology and Radiation Therapy educated & trained in Sweden. Now retired. Background in Radiation Therapy, Medical Oncology, Radiation Protection, Nuclear Medicine, Diagnostic Radiology, Gynecological Oncology, Clinical Pathology, Clinical Cytology,Hematology and Internal Medicine. M.D. from the faculty of medicine, Royal Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden. Have also been an exchange student at the Hebrew University, Hadassah Medical School, Jerusalem Israel. Former medical consultant, Swedish National Board of Radiation Protection. Former Police Surgeon and Medical Examiner, Stockholm Police Department. Former Chief Medical Officer, The Royal Guards, The Royal Horse Guards and the Royal Household Brigade, Royal Swedish Army Medical Corps. You can also reach me on: http://www.lifestylerescue.com/expert/health-fitness-advice/dr-claes-gustaf/128 I have no restrictions in the number of questions there. I also answer questions in these other categories: General History, Military History, Brain Tumors, Breast Cancer, Colon Cancer

I'm a medical doctor and specialist in medical oncology and radiation therapy