Oncology (General Cancer)/Removal of Titanium Chin Plate

Question
Hello Dr.,
My husband had a total glossectomy 13 years ago due to base of tongue cancer & is doing well.  His body has started rejecting the titanium plate used when they split his jaw open to remove the tongue & replace it with a flap from his abdomen.  The screws are starting to push out of his jaw and his surgeon wants to remove the plate & screws ASAP to prevent bone exposure.  Would you be able to tell me what the danger is?  Thank you for your consideration.  LJ

Answer
Sorry, this is a question for a maxillo-facial or an ear-nose-and-throat surgeon. I am a medical oncologist & radiation therapist. So I strongly suggest that you direct this your question to experts of those subjects. Good luck!

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!

Oncology (General Cancer)

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.