Oncology (General Cancer)/Scared

Question
Hi Dr, Hi   My name is. Martha and I'm a 33 year old female that's very worried about my health. For years I've been having constipation and I take fiber one and it works but the only thing that scares me is my poop is really skinny and I still strain in the toilet everyday. My grandma died in her thirties and we don't know from what. This happened in philippines. The only thing we know is she went poop one day and blood came out and she died. I'm really worried I might have something wrong with my colon like cancer. I got a spine mri and the radiologist found something on my right side pelvic wall. he said it might be assymetric bowel rather than a true mass. Could this be causing the constipation and thin stool?I have no weight lost. I do have chills everyday. Thank you so much. Sincerely, Martha

Answer
There are a lot of things that might be causing chills and a narrow fecal stream.  At your age, and with the relatively long history of what is going on, I would suspect something benign.  A rectal fissure can cause rectal spasm; or you might have a walled off abscess, which might go along with the symptoms (including chills) and the radiation findings.  You need to have a thorough pelvic examination which includes a digital rectal exam.  I think the problem is most likely located in the rectum or anus, and a pelvic exam can usually examine those areas quite well.  Let me know!

Oncology (General Cancer)

Donald Higby, M.D.