Oncology (General Cancer)/Secondary bone cancer and femur breakage

Question
My 100 year old dad's Prostate Cancer has spread to the femur causing thinning and breakage of the femur. Surgery is not an option to repair the breakage because the bone is too fragile and he also has some problem with his heart.  What can be done because the leg is so swollen and hurts tremendously when he is moved.

Answer
Someone his age with other problems would probably scare off any orthopedic surgeons, and indeed the procedure would be hard on someone younger.  There are a few options.  First, has the area been irradiated?  Sometimes the pain is more due to tumor invasion than fracture and radiation can help somewhat.  Second, has an orthotist been consulted?  These specialists can make braces that keep movement to a minimum.  Finally, some people are experimenting with direct injection of bone cement into the area.  That's actually been used in fractures of the spine.  You might want to have him seen by an interventional radiologist regarding this.  
Hope this helps.  

Oncology (General Cancer)

Donald Higby, M.D.