Oncology (General Cancer)/Over exposure to radiation

Question
radiology report
radiology report  
QUESTION: My sister in law had radiation, brachy therapy and chemo treatments for uterine cancer.  Cervix 1 B2 cancer was the diagnosis.  She had 28 radiation treatments so now she has been overexposed to the excess radiation and the toxicity caused her to undergo a colostomy along with problems with lower back nerves and bladder problems.  She is suffering lots of pain and was told there is no procedure to reverse the ongoing damage that the excess radiation is doing.  It is "burning" her system.  I have attached the radiation report.  It is in Spanish.

Are there any cancer treatment centers that can treat her and slow down this process of the radiation burning through her body?

Sincerely,

John B

John

ANSWER: I have had both brachy therapy & external radiation for my prostate cancer without any problem whatsoever. I had 2 brachytherapy sessions each giving me 1000 cGy/rad, 2 weeks apart. After that a total external dose of 5000 cGy/rad over a period of 5 weeks with 5 daily treatments/week of 200 cGy/rad/treatment. My total dose was 7000 cGy/rad given over a period of 7 weeks. That is a HIGH dose but given over a reasonable time. The shorter time used the higher the radiation effect will be. 28 treatments will give a dose of 5600 cGy/rad in total. To that you must add also what the brachytherapy treatment gave. So the important question here is how much was given in the brachy treatment and how were these 28 sessions given over time? Without knowing that it is hard to evaluate her treatment. Some people may also be extra sensitive. This type of side effects are not completely unknown even in cases that were absolutely properly treated! This type of effects can be treated by cortisone and other anti inflammatory drugs. Apart from that there is not much anyone can do. Any and all radiation therapy center(s) can do this. Where was she treated?

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!
The language problem I have had with the payment site has been solved!

I have tried to read the report in Spanish. I do not know Spanish. But it seems she was given 5000 cGy/rad in external radiation and 4000 cGy/rad in brachy therapy. High doses in brachy therapy are common especially in gynecological radiation therapy but at this level there may be serious side effects. As was the case here.

QUESTION: Thank you for your response.  My sister in law was treated in Canada.  She now resides in Peru.  She is willing to come to the US for any treatment.  Can you recommend a radiation center in the US or Peru for her?

Sincerely,

John

Answer
Unfortunately there is no dramatic help to be found anywhere. What can be done - which is not very much - can more or less be done anywhere.  So if she wants to seek help in the USA any radiation therapy center in a university hospital will do. But do not expect miracles. What has happened has happened.

Oncology (General Cancer)

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.