Oncology (General Cancer)/Weirdly shaped black and brown thing in a not so great place

Question
I'm 16 years old, so this is really hard for me but I'm kind of terrified, I recently noticed a strangly shaped black and brown thing in my vaginal area, it's not raised and not rough but I really would like to know if I should be concerned about it or if it's just probably a birthmark that I never knew about.

Answer
If it's not raised and not painful and located in an area that doesn't get much sunlight, it is probably just a mole.  People do tend to get moles over time; they don't all come as birthmarks, but yes, you might have had it a long time and not noticed it.  Now that you know it's there, just check it once in a while (like every month) to make sure it isn't changing.  Nowadays, with cell phone cameras you could even take a picture of it and compare. But don't get obsessed; once you've decided it isn't changing, stop worrying about it.  
If yuu really can't get it out of your mind and continue to be terrified, see your doctor.  But really, I think the above is a more than reasonable approach.

Oncology (General Cancer)

Donald Higby, M.D.