Oncology (General Cancer)/Breslow depth of melanoma

Question
I read that the "Breslow's depth" staging considers the total vertical height (height above the skin surface plus depth below the skin surface) in determining staging of melanoma skin cancer.

But how can one estimate the total height based on just looking at the height above the skin surface? Would the height generally about equal the depth (i.e., a mole about .5 MM above the skin surface would also have a .5 depth and therefore a 1MM total vertical height for the Breslow staging?

Answer
The method used in pathology is like this. First the WHOLE mole - the suspected melanoma - has to be removed surgically. Under the microscope the specimen is then turned sidewise towards the viewer and its thickness is measured. I do hope this explains it!

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!
The language problem I have had with the payment site has been solved!  

Oncology (General Cancer)

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.