Oncology (General Cancer)/ct lung scan result

I'm 58 years old and an ex smoker. been quit for about 14 years. Saw a story on the nightly news about a new new protocol on ex smokers, talked to my Dr. about and he agreed that I have the scan.The results were :Posteriorly in the right upper lobe a cluster of nodular lesions with a small pleural tag. The etiology of the lesion is unknown. The size is 15 by 18 mm but the impression of a heterogeneous possibly inflammatory or post inflammatory lesion than malignancy. My Dr. said we need to follow up in 3 months with another ct scan. Also there are no pleural effusions. I also was a welder/ironworker for 40 years. My question is should I be concerned and should I press to have a biopsy now instead of 3 months from now if the nodule grows. And if this turns out to be cancer, in your opinion did we catch it soon enough to be treated. Thank You Julian

We actually have a protocol for dealing with very small lesions in the lung.  First, trying to biopsy this without actually doing surgery would be very difficult.  In general, we get a second scan in three months, a third a year later, and another at two years.  If there is no change, it is believed that this strongly indicates a benign lesion.  If it grows, of course, further investigation is warranted.  The description does sound like an inflammatory lesion.  People who smoke for several years almost always have some inflammatory changes even years later.  So I think your doctor is right on the money.  Hope this helps.  

Oncology (General Cancer)

Donald Higby, M.D.

I can answer almost all questions related to the treatment and natural course of most kinds of cancer, especially cancers of prostate, colon, lung and breast.

I have been a practicing medical oncologist for 36 years, and have been chief of service at a major medical center for 25 years. I've also done research in cancer treatments.

American Society of Clinical Oncology

New England Journal of Medicine American Journal of Medicine Journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology Hematology Transfusion Medicine

MD, Stanford University Internal Medicine residency, St. Louis University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO Medical Oncology Fellowship, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY

America's Best Physicians, last 14 years