Oncology (General Cancer)/Lumps in tongue

I'm 18 years old, female, a non-smoker and only drink very occasionally.
A month ago, after a bad dose of ulcer on my tongue, I was checking my tongue when I felt a small,hard, pea-sized lump in my tongue, about 3-4 cm away from the tip to the right of the tongue. The lump can only be felt if I pinch my tongue.
I went to the doctor last week and was prescribed flagyl 400mg for one week but the course of antibiotics is up and there is no improvement. I now have another lump, the exact same as the first on the left.
I'm in general good health and have no medical conditions but I am really concerned that this might be cancer and so any advice would be hugely appreciated.. The worry this is causing me is immense.
Thank you

At your age and with your life style your risk of a tongue cancer is VERY small! It is far more likely that this has been caused by an infection/inflammation. That is supported by the fact that it started with an ulcer. I suppose the ulcer has since healed?! So I do not think you have a cancer there. But to be sure I do suggest - if possible - that you let an ear-nose-and-throat surgeon check your tongue. Good luck!

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!

Oncology (General Cancer)

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.

Questions concerning Cancer, Oncology, radiation Therapy, Tumours, Chemotherapy, Cytotoxic Drugs, Hormonal Therapy, Radiation Protection.

I'm a Doctor of Medicine and specialist in Medical Oncology and Radiation Therapy educated & trained in Sweden. Now retired. Background in Radiation Therapy, Medical Oncology, Radiation Protection, Nuclear Medicine, Diagnostic Radiology, Gynecological Oncology, Clinical Pathology, Clinical Cytology,Hematology and Internal Medicine. M.D. from the faculty of medicine, Royal Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden. Have also been an exchange student at the Hebrew University, Hadassah Medical School, Jerusalem Israel. Former medical consultant, Swedish National Board of Radiation Protection. Former Police Surgeon and Medical Examiner, Stockholm Police Department. Former Chief Medical Officer, The Royal Guards, The Royal Horse Guards and the Royal Household Brigade, Royal Swedish Army Medical Corps. You can also reach me on: http://www.lifestylerescue.com/expert/health-fitness-advice/dr-claes-gustaf/128 I have no restrictions in the number of questions there. I also answer questions in these other categories: General History, Military History, Brain Tumors, Breast Cancer, Colon Cancer

I'm a medical doctor and specialist in medical oncology and radiation therapy