Oncology (General Cancer)/mass on tongue

I have what has been referred to as a "mass" a "tumor" and "growth" on the base of my tongue.  it was biopsied with "inconclusive" results and since then (3 months) has grown larger.  I will now have another biopsy.  My doctor has been confusing me with varied terms and his "opinions" on the findings.  If you will, please interpret the following results:  "Examination of the immunohistochemical staining reveals virtually all cells present in the submucosal area to stain positively with CD45. These same CD45 positive small lymphocytes stain as a mixture of CD20and CD3 positive lymphocytes as would be seen in a reactive process. There is scattered positivity for BCL2 but no positivity for BCL1 and the lymphoid cell.  INTERPRETATION:  This additional staining pattern further supports the reactive nature of this lymphocytic infiltrate.  If a tumor issuspected, then I highly recommend additional tissue procurement for final disease classification.  FINAL DIAGNOSIS:BASE OF TONGUE  MASS, BIOPSY: SQUAMOUS MUCOSA WITH UNDERLYING LYMPHOID HYPERPLASIA AND CHRONIC INFLAMMATION. A MICROSCOPIC MUCOSAL INCLUSION IS SEEN. ADDITIONAL REPORT TO FOLLOW."(there are no additional reports)
thank you!

Based on the written report the only conclusion can be that this does not seem to be a "tumor" in the normal sense but instead an inflammatory (hence "reactive") process of the type you can see in an infection or after a trauma. I can understand that your doctor wants to do another biopsy to get more information. If I happened to be in your situation I would probably insist on - if possible - that the whole mass was removed to be examined by a pathologist. Good luck!

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!

Oncology (General Cancer)

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.

Questions concerning Cancer, Oncology, radiation Therapy, Tumours, Chemotherapy, Cytotoxic Drugs, Hormonal Therapy, Radiation Protection.

I'm a Doctor of Medicine and specialist in Medical Oncology and Radiation Therapy educated & trained in Sweden. Now retired. Background in Radiation Therapy, Medical Oncology, Radiation Protection, Nuclear Medicine, Diagnostic Radiology, Gynecological Oncology, Clinical Pathology, Clinical Cytology,Hematology and Internal Medicine. M.D. from the faculty of medicine, Royal Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden. Have also been an exchange student at the Hebrew University, Hadassah Medical School, Jerusalem Israel. Former medical consultant, Swedish National Board of Radiation Protection. Former Police Surgeon and Medical Examiner, Stockholm Police Department. Former Chief Medical Officer, The Royal Guards, The Royal Horse Guards and the Royal Household Brigade, Royal Swedish Army Medical Corps. You can also reach me on: http://www.lifestylerescue.com/expert/health-fitness-advice/dr-claes-gustaf/128 I have no restrictions in the number of questions there. I also answer questions in these other categories: General History, Military History, Brain Tumors, Breast Cancer, Colon Cancer

I'm a medical doctor and specialist in medical oncology and radiation therapy