Oncology (General Cancer)/Is this a UTI or possibly cancer?

Question
I've recently had a routine ultrasound done and the doctor noticed my bladder lining was thickened at 8mm and both my kidneys had pielocalyceal hypotonia and microlithiasis.

The doctor told me I had a UTI and prescribed me antibiotics - he was very sure this is what I had. However, I have no symptoms of a UTI - no difficulty urinating, or pain, or anything really. I feel normal. I have had a bit of sweating during the night in the past 3 months but I attributed it to anxiety... I don't have a fever.

I had an ultrasound done 3 months before this and nothing was observed.

Can this be a UTI with no symptoms? Should I see another doctor or just continue taking the antibiotics? Should I recheck with an ultrasound later?

Can this be something other than a UTI, like cancer? I am 28 years old, I've heard bladder cancer is rare at this age, is that right?

Thank you!

Answer
You are right, it's unusual for someone your age (and sex) to get bladder cancer.  You could have a chronic bladder infection and sometimes they don't give symptoms. I hope the doctor took cultures of your urine; you can't say you have an infection unless you can show bacteria growing where they shouldn't.  There are other conditions which can give thickening of the bladder wall, including interstitial cystitis, which is usually symptomatic but can be without symptoms.  The hypotonic calyces and the microlithiasis suggest along with the thickened bladder lining do suggest an infectuous process.  All that being said, I would finish the antibiotics and about six weeks to two months later, have the US repeated.  If the abnormalities are still present, a cystoscopy is in order.  Hope this helps.  

Oncology (General Cancer)

Donald Higby, M.D.