Oncology (General Cancer)/is that a partial response?

Question
QUESTION: hi dear doctor
respectfuly
my mom has a history of ovarian cancer(clear cell carcinoma)
after a long treatment with several chemo drugs
her liver is involved with multiple metastatic tumors
so her dr change the treatment from topotecan to carboplatin+taxol+avastin
and after 3 cycle her dr recommend a pet/ct scan
and now we have a problem with the pet scan result
beacause it stipulates that lesions size increased but there is a significant decrease in FDG uptake(previous SUV was 9.7 and now its about SUV=2.3 !!!) in favor of partial response(in liver), and another part of report: there is a significant decrease in metabolic activity and SIZE! of intraperitoneal seeding
in favor of partial response
i ask from radiologist who did the pet scan about false negative result
but he said that everything was good in the time of test
and the FBS of your mother was normal and good etc.....
and there was a delay between using of glocouse and taking the graph(90 min)
so this report is amazing for her oncologist because she believe in decrease of lesions size...
you know in the previous pet ct scan we had many problem in the liver and pelvis
but in new pet scan many of these problems is not seen
but in liver reported that lesion size increased this ia our main question
is it possible? increase in size and decrease in SUV (metabolic activity)
do u recommend that we continue the last regimen (taxol+carboplatin+avastin) of chemo?
my mom had pain in the region of liver 3 month ago but now the pain is very lesser
and there is an important sign:
the liver tumors are liquefacting
thats very kind of u  dear dr
and please forgive me about my bad writing
i contact u from asia
sincer
peryman

ANSWER: As I think I have told you before the prognosis of ovarian cancers is very bad unfortunately regardless of treatment. So also with chemotherapy. Treatment can usually only prolong survival and often not even that. Real cures are VERY rare and far between! In your mother's case there seems to be a decrease in the metabolic activity of her cancer. That probably indicates that her treatment has had some effect though limited since at the same time her cancer seems to have grown to some extent in spite of the descibed effect above. That is not unusual and can not really be described as a success unfortunately. I am sorry that I have nothing better to tell you!

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!

QUESTION: that is very kind of you dear professor
following of your answer:

<<<what is your recommend for next treatment?>>>

her oncologist prefered to switch on last chemo
paclitaxel+carboplatin+avastin
my mom seems well Apparently
she eats and drinks well
and she exercises every day!!
she got topotecan, cis platin,gemzar,in last year with no good results..
but this new regimen is compatible ....
in the first regimen of her chemotherapy(3 years ago )
she switched on taxol+carbo+avastin (with lesser doses )
and it removes all of the cancer for about 1 year(she was NED)
im very thankful dear doctor
with respect
peyman

Answer
I usually do not discuss medication in other countries since I do not know what is available there or costs involved. But I have no objections to the described medication.

Oncology (General Cancer)

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.