Oncology (General Cancer)/Chemo hairloss

Question
I am working on a project .... im sure you have heard of cold caps (penguin caps) that is designed to help with patients who have gone through chemotherapy to help prevent hair loss but only of the head what my project is, is a cold body so instead of having the cold slowing down the blood vessels on your head people who care about the hair on there legs arms ex will maybe get a chance to keep it what i am testing right now is only the hair on a persons head the cold cap only goes to 37 degrees i am going to make it go to 37 degrees because the cold is better for your hair it traps on the nutrients on the hair when heat opens the vessels letting it soak in or go away i was wondering if you give me suggestions or questions anything that could help me

Answer
Yes cold caps work. But we have only experience of them on the head (scalp). That means that it is easy to arrange it. Cold temperature is easy to arrange and keep up on the scalp. And there are no real physiological problems due to the low temperature in this scenario. The risk that the tumor would spread thanks to these measures is also small ( small area & volume involved,). However if you increase the involved areas all these things change and I am not sure that the process would still be harmless. I also do not see the aim of preserving body hair as important enough to risk any bad consequences. And only long and extensive experiments can show to us if such procedures are without risk increase or not!

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!

Oncology (General Cancer)

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.