Oncology (General Cancer)/radiation

My question is in regard to radiation.  I had to have a chest x ray because of pneumonia. it was in its early stages I took the medication and am fine.  My dentist likes to take full x rays every 5  yrs.  every yr or so he likes x rays of 2 side molars. I'm due this summer for the full dental x ray. should I pass on it until next yr.  I feel this is too much radiation, which I understand causes cancer.  I have a micro wave oven I don't use that often they tell me this could be a cancer cause is this all true. thank you

Yes some radiation - NOT all - may cause cancer. Your micro wave oven for example does NOT cause cancer!  X-ray radiation. on the other hand may cause cancer. However the risk level is related to dose level. The higher the dose the higher is also the risk. However due to higher probability at på resent of reaching a higher age and the fact that higher age increases cancer risks quite a lot the risk of having  a cancer during life is now around 30%. So the risk increase for you due to your x-ryas is indeed VERY small in comparison. You must make decisions for yourself. But if in your situation I world not hesitate to accept these x-ray examinations! Good luck!

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!

Oncology (General Cancer)

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.

Questions concerning Cancer, Oncology, radiation Therapy, Tumours, Chemotherapy, Cytotoxic Drugs, Hormonal Therapy, Radiation Protection.

I'm a Doctor of Medicine and specialist in Medical Oncology and Radiation Therapy educated & trained in Sweden. Now retired. Background in Radiation Therapy, Medical Oncology, Radiation Protection, Nuclear Medicine, Diagnostic Radiology, Gynecological Oncology, Clinical Pathology, Clinical Cytology,Hematology and Internal Medicine. M.D. from the faculty of medicine, Royal Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden. Have also been an exchange student at the Hebrew University, Hadassah Medical School, Jerusalem Israel. Former medical consultant, Swedish National Board of Radiation Protection. Former Police Surgeon and Medical Examiner, Stockholm Police Department. Former Chief Medical Officer, The Royal Guards, The Royal Horse Guards and the Royal Household Brigade, Royal Swedish Army Medical Corps. You can also reach me on: http://www.lifestylerescue.com/expert/health-fitness-advice/dr-claes-gustaf/128 I have no restrictions in the number of questions there. I also answer questions in these other categories: General History, Military History, Brain Tumors, Breast Cancer, Colon Cancer

I'm a medical doctor and specialist in medical oncology and radiation therapy