Oncology (General Cancer)/Thyroid Nodules

I recently had a Thoracic Spine MRI which had an incidental finding of a 2 cm nodule of the Rt lobe of my thyroid. I was sent for an U/S and this is the results:

RT lobe measurements( 3.8 x 2.1 x 1.9 cm) 5.9 cc's
Solitary lower pole nodule; Size: 27 mm x 16 mm x 14 mm
located lower 2/3 of the gland; Complex 70 % solid; hyperechoic; microcalcifications scattered in the lower half of the nodule; nodule shows distinct vascularity;

LT Lobe measurements (2.9 x 1.5 x 1.1 cm) 2.6 cc's
3 mm hypoechoic solid nodule at lower pole

I have been referred to an endocrinologist in May. The information I have read seems to lean towards malignancy. What are your thoughts and what do you recommend as the course of treatment/follow-up. It's been recommended I have a FNA or close surveillance U/S in 6 and 12 months.

Thanks so much

The best and quickest way to know what this is is to  have your 2 nodules checked with FNA,  especially the one in your right lobe. To save time this should be done before you visit your endocrinologist so that the resultat is known then. When the resultat is known it will  easier to decide what to do! Good luck! Please do keep me posted!

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!

Oncology (General Cancer)

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.

Questions concerning Cancer, Oncology, radiation Therapy, Tumours, Chemotherapy, Cytotoxic Drugs, Hormonal Therapy, Radiation Protection.

I'm a Doctor of Medicine and specialist in Medical Oncology and Radiation Therapy educated & trained in Sweden. Now retired. Background in Radiation Therapy, Medical Oncology, Radiation Protection, Nuclear Medicine, Diagnostic Radiology, Gynecological Oncology, Clinical Pathology, Clinical Cytology,Hematology and Internal Medicine. M.D. from the faculty of medicine, Royal Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden. Have also been an exchange student at the Hebrew University, Hadassah Medical School, Jerusalem Israel. Former medical consultant, Swedish National Board of Radiation Protection. Former Police Surgeon and Medical Examiner, Stockholm Police Department. Former Chief Medical Officer, The Royal Guards, The Royal Horse Guards and the Royal Household Brigade, Royal Swedish Army Medical Corps. You can also reach me on: http://www.lifestylerescue.com/expert/health-fitness-advice/dr-claes-gustaf/128 I have no restrictions in the number of questions there. I also answer questions in these other categories: General History, Military History, Brain Tumors, Breast Cancer, Colon Cancer

I'm a medical doctor and specialist in medical oncology and radiation therapy