Oncology (General Cancer)/UTI

Question
Hello Dr. Higby,
I know the question I am about to ask you is not of your field but I have written to you about my BC so I figured maybe you could give me your insight on this too. I have a history of nephrolithiasis which started about 10 yrs ago. I used to get about one attack a year. But for the past three years I have been ok. I just recently started experiencing some pain, I guess at the urethral level, but the odd thing is that just before i get the urge to go I get this weird sensation, more like pain in the palm of my hand, which is only relieved after i have urinated. Ive checked this up but have found nothing to explain the connection between the pain and the urgency. I also feel a heaviness in my bladder which makes me feel like I need to go to the bathroom when i really dont. I forgot to mention this to my oncologist last visit, because this had started before my traetments. Just wanted to know if you have ever heard of a similar case. There were no urologists or nephrologists on this site for questions. Thank you.

Answer
It's very hard for me to find a relationship between pain in the palm of the hand and urination. Given your pelvic symptoms, though, I'd want to have a good evaluation, including, perhaps, a CT of the pelvis and a good urinalysis.  You might also want to have a "post voiding residual" test to see if the bladder is functioning properly.  It's vaguely possible that you might be dealing with a neuropathy (that could possibly explain the hand/bladder problem) or there may be metastatic disease in the bones, that possibly could explain some of your symptoms.  In any event, I don't want to frighten you, but the best thing is to get these things checked out.  If I were your doctor I would treat each symptom separately and look for separate causes of the hand pain and the bladder symptoms.  They may be related, but if they are, I can't think of a way without further tests.  Please keep me posted.  

Oncology (General Cancer)

Donald Higby, M.D.