Oncology (General Cancer)/lung nodules

Hi, since Jan of 2014, I have 3 lung nodules one of then has grown a lot since Jan,I have had 3 CT scans! The biggest one started out at 6 by 6 mm the second scan in April was it was 7.5 by 10 mm and now in June it is 8.8 by 13 mm. I have a PET scan coming up on July 8th? But my question is what are the chances its lung cancer?? I'm 33 white female, I have had a hysterectomy when I was 27, cancer run's in my family, and I have smoked since I was 15! What would the chances be of lung cancer???

Since you have been smoking since you were 15 years old (18 years) your lung cancer risk can not be ignored in spite of your relative youth. I do not know how much you have smoked. That too is a risk determining factor that can not be ignored. There is also your unknown individual cancer sensitivity to tobacco smoke. Since these factors are unknown by me it is impossible to determine your personal risk with any precision. We only know that you are at risk.  Even if there is no cancer there at present and you stop smoking completely today it will take at least 10 years until you will approach the cancer risk level of a life long non smoker. But your cardio-vascular risks of smoking will decrease MUCH faster. We will have to wait for your PET scan until we know more of your risk situation. To know with certainty however we need at least biopsies - if possible - from all 3 nodules. So I must strongly suggest that you stop smoking now and stick to that action! Good luck! Please do keep me posted!

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!

Oncology (General Cancer)

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.

Questions concerning Cancer, Oncology, radiation Therapy, Tumours, Chemotherapy, Cytotoxic Drugs, Hormonal Therapy, Radiation Protection.

I'm a Doctor of Medicine and specialist in Medical Oncology and Radiation Therapy educated & trained in Sweden. Now retired. Background in Radiation Therapy, Medical Oncology, Radiation Protection, Nuclear Medicine, Diagnostic Radiology, Gynecological Oncology, Clinical Pathology, Clinical Cytology,Hematology and Internal Medicine. M.D. from the faculty of medicine, Royal Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden. Have also been an exchange student at the Hebrew University, Hadassah Medical School, Jerusalem Israel. Former medical consultant, Swedish National Board of Radiation Protection. Former Police Surgeon and Medical Examiner, Stockholm Police Department. Former Chief Medical Officer, The Royal Guards, The Royal Horse Guards and the Royal Household Brigade, Royal Swedish Army Medical Corps. You can also reach me on: http://www.lifestylerescue.com/expert/health-fitness-advice/dr-claes-gustaf/128 I have no restrictions in the number of questions there. I also answer questions in these other categories: General History, Military History, Brain Tumors, Breast Cancer, Colon Cancer

I'm a medical doctor and specialist in medical oncology and radiation therapy