Oncology (General Cancer)/Cancer and Cell Towers

Hello Dr Higby,
I was diagnosed with breast cancer in July of 2011. I went through 8 months of treatment and am currently taking Arimidex.
I am doing really good and want to stay healthy!
The school where I work has a cell tower right in the middle of our U-shaped building. I have an opportunity to move to a much quieter, bigger, more comfortable office, which is so appealing to my nerves and concentration level - but this office is a mere 30 feet from the cell tower. My current office is maybe 150 feet from the tower. Both offices are on the ground floor.
Do you feel moving to the nicer quieter office (closer to the cell tower) - would compromise my health? I'm wondering about the effects of this tower on my current and future health and how best to protect myself as long as I continue to work here.
Thank you so much for your time.

Despite what you might read, there is no scientific evidence that cell towers are associated with cancer.  The kind of radiation coming from cell towers is not able to penetrate human tissue; (that's why you can find spots where you can't get reception).  As far as we know, the only kind of radiation that is capable of causing cancer is radiation that penetrates tissue, and is thus energetic enough to damage DNA.  This has to do with x-irradiation, radiation from nuclear sources, and cosmic radiation.  In practical terms, we don't have a lot of control over our exposure to these.  Hope this helps.  

Oncology (General Cancer)

Donald Higby, M.D.

I can answer almost all questions related to the treatment and natural course of most kinds of cancer, especially cancers of prostate, colon, lung and breast.

I have been a practicing medical oncologist for 36 years, and have been chief of service at a major medical center for 25 years. I've also done research in cancer treatments.

American Society of Clinical Oncology

New England Journal of Medicine American Journal of Medicine Journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology Hematology Transfusion Medicine

MD, Stanford University Internal Medicine residency, St. Louis University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO Medical Oncology Fellowship, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY

America's Best Physicians, last 14 years