Oncology (General Cancer)/Differentiated VIN

How does the success rate of
imiquimod 5% for differentiated (VIN) compare to surgical intervention?  What are the pros and cons of both treatments?  I have had lichen sclerosis for 25 years

Imiquimod is not without problems.  Most people get some kind of skin reaction, sometimes very severe.  It doesn't always work, either. It acts by inducing an immune response in the skin, so if you don't have a strong immune system, it may not help.  I would go with surgery first, if it isn't going to be disfiguring.  This allows evaluation of the depth of the disease and other features which may be helpful in figuring out what to do after surgery.  Hope this helps.  

Oncology (General Cancer)

Donald Higby, M.D.

I can answer almost all questions related to the treatment and natural course of most kinds of cancer, especially cancers of prostate, colon, lung and breast.

I have been a practicing medical oncologist for 36 years, and have been chief of service at a major medical center for 25 years. I've also done research in cancer treatments.

American Society of Clinical Oncology

New England Journal of Medicine American Journal of Medicine Journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology Hematology Transfusion Medicine

MD, Stanford University Internal Medicine residency, St. Louis University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO Medical Oncology Fellowship, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY

America's Best Physicians, last 14 years