Oncology (General Cancer)/Differentiated VIN

Question
How does the success rate of
imiquimod 5% for differentiated (VIN) compare to surgical intervention?  What are the pros and cons of both treatments?  I have had lichen sclerosis for 25 years

Answer
Imiquimod is not without problems.  Most people get some kind of skin reaction, sometimes very severe.  It doesn't always work, either. It acts by inducing an immune response in the skin, so if you don't have a strong immune system, it may not help.  I would go with surgery first, if it isn't going to be disfiguring.  This allows evaluation of the depth of the disease and other features which may be helpful in figuring out what to do after surgery.  Hope this helps.  

Oncology (General Cancer)

Donald Higby, M.D.