Oncology (General Cancer)/driving before released by surgeon

My brother is 74 yrs. old., was diagnosed with renal carcinoma of 1 kidney with involvement of the inferior vena cava and also has a spot in 1 lung just before Christmas of 2014.  He had surgery on the 8th of Jan. 2015 which the surgeon removed the cancerous kidney and cleaned the renal vena cava.  He will begin chemo/radiation therapy sometime after Feb. 10 2015 for lung spot.  He has about a 7" incision on his chest area which he still has staples in.  He goes back to his surgeon for staple removal Feb. 10 2015.  My question: my brother insist he is going to drive his wife to work (3 to 11) shift which starts Tues. Jan. 20 2015.  I know you can't give me an exact answer & I will not repeat your answer to anyone.  Unwise or wise decision to drive while staples are still in? He has not been released by his surgeon yet; not until Feb. 10 2015.  Your time and consideration in reference to this question would be greatly appreciated.  Thank You!

If he's not on a lot of pain medications and he can move his legs and arms without problems, I don't see why he couldn't drive.  I don't know if the surgeon told him he couldn't, in which case I'd always advise that the doctor's orders should be followed; but staples in the chest area by themselves shouldn't impair his driving, and after a couple of weeks he should be reasonably recovered from that kind of surgery.  Hope this helps.  

Oncology (General Cancer)

Donald Higby, M.D.

I can answer almost all questions related to the treatment and natural course of most kinds of cancer, especially cancers of prostate, colon, lung and breast.

I have been a practicing medical oncologist for 36 years, and have been chief of service at a major medical center for 25 years. I've also done research in cancer treatments.

American Society of Clinical Oncology

New England Journal of Medicine American Journal of Medicine Journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology Hematology Transfusion Medicine

MD, Stanford University Internal Medicine residency, St. Louis University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO Medical Oncology Fellowship, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY

America's Best Physicians, last 14 years