Oncology (General Cancer)/Vitamin E

Question
I've been taking Vitamin E 400 IU for a few years for the perceived health benefits. Upon further research it appears that it isn't helpful and could be harmful (I spoke with a pharmacist). My question is: Can high intakes of Vitamin E supplements induce cancer in healthy Women? I'm 39, non smoker.

Thank you.

Answer
I don't think you harm yourself by taking 400 units a day.  Our bodies just get rid of what we don't need.  Higher doses (above 1000 units/day) can cause bleeding, double vision, heart problems, etc.  However, it doesn't seem to be associated with cancer.  You really don't need it, and if you stop, the levels in your body will go down.  Hope this helps.  

Oncology (General Cancer)

Donald Higby, M.D.