Oncology (General Cancer)/about lungs cancer

Question
QUESTION: Dear Donald
2 months ago when I coughed up, little amount of blood(not with sputum) was come out. After that I got scared and coughed up 20 times INTENTIONALLY to know the exact reason of blood for 2-3 days. But nothing came out. 5 days ago I felt throat(below the larynx) heaviness when I coughed up little blood came out then I coughed up INTENTIONALLY several times to know the exact reason but nothing came.I have occasional cough (not persistent at all).
1) Can it be a typical sign of lungs cancer?
2) In lung cancer haemoptysis is persistence or occasional?
3) Can it be throat cancer? But I did mirror laryngoscopy nothing obvious was found.
Please reply. Thank You.

ANSWER: Coughing up blood can be a symptom of lung cancer, but also, cancers of the larynx, hypopharynx, or even esophagus.  It can also suggest a lung infection such as tuberculosis or other fungal disease.  If you feel something in you larynx, you might need to have that area looked at.  Generally with couging up blood we would start with a chest x-ray (or CT scan of the chest of available) and if that were negative, consider a bronchoscopy.  Hope this helps.  

QUESTION: Thank You for your reply.

But I have coughed up blood ONLY ONCE. I have OCCASIONAL COUGH.

In case of lung cancer, haemoptysis is occasional or persistent or increases as the days pass?

2 months ago I coughed up blood ONLY ONCE after that nothing happened.
I have NO cough at all.

Thank You.

ANSWER: If there has been no blood for that long, it probably isn't lung cancer;  but it isn't normal to have blood coming from the lungs and/or trachea.  If you choose not to do anything,  I'd certainly consult a doctor if something changes.  As mentioned, there are things that can cause blood to be coughed up without being cancer.  laryngeal polyps come to mind.  Very severe coughing can do it as well. People who are heavy smokers can develop changes in the lining of the trachea that make it easier to bleed when you cough.  All in all, it's a warning sign, but if you haven't had a problem in 2 and one half months, it may be nothing serious.

QUESTION: Thank You for your reply.
I consulted ENT specialist and he did mirror laryngoscope. He found 4-5 RED MARKS inside my throat and said it may be the probable site of bleeding. What I want to know is

1) IN CASE OF LUNG CANCER HAEMOPTYSIS, IS IT OCCASIONAL OR PERSISTENCE OR INCREASE AS THE DAY PASSES?

I HAD ONLY LITTLE BLOOD( NO MUCUS).I HAVE NO COUGH.

THANK YOU.

Answer
If your ent thinks the blood is coming from the red marks, that's good that the source has been found.  But then the question is why the red marks?  I think that if there is nothing by laryngoscope, you can be pretty sure there isn't a tumor or cancer in the airway.  I'm still bothered by why you are bringing up blood, though.  At this point you might want to give it some time and see what happens.  As for your other question, hemoptysis from lung cancer can be just about any way; sometimes it is persistent and may decrease as the day goes on (many people cough more in the morning) or it may happen once a week or so.  The way hemoptysis acts doesn't answer the question about lung cancer.  

Oncology (General Cancer)

Donald Higby, M.D.