Oncology (General Cancer)/cancer/blood disorder?

Question
I'm a 50 year old male. I've been taking Coumadin for over a year because of a dvt. I alternate between 5mg and 7.5mg daily. When I had an INR in early Sept. it was 1.9. I waited several weeks to have it done again and it was 6.3. I'm trying to figure out why the level increased so much. The only good explanation I can come up with was that I was taking Motrin for a couple of weeks as a result of a cold/virus, usually 3 tablets per day. Would that amount of Motrin be sufficient to account for that increase in my INR level? If not, I'm afraid I may have some kind of blood disorder, cancer, etc. I would like some idea before I got back to my doctor again for another INR.

Answer
It is possible - maybe even probable - that your medication is the cause of this but I can not guarantee that it is so. You should discuss it with your own doctor. The risk that some other disorder is behind it is small but not 0. So for that reason too you should discuss it with your doctor! Good luck!

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!
The language problem I have had with the payment site has been solved!

Oncology (General Cancer)

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.