Oncology (General Cancer)/Tamoxifen

Question
Hello
I was diagnosed with DCIS in my left breast. Tumor was estrogen positive. I had a mastectomy. Doctor suggested that I take Tamoxifen. Is there a benifit to taking this medication. Is there an increased survival rate for women who take Tamoxifen. Am I at an increased risk to develpo breast cancer in the other breast with no cancer.
Thank you

Answer
Well, your cancer was an in situ breast cancer of your left breast - a stage 0 cancer. For that mastectomy is one solution though not the one I favor. Instead I would have suggested just to have your cancer removed - lumpectomy - and then follow up with radiation therapy of your left breast. That would be the minimal damage treatment even when radiation effects on your left lung and your heart are considered. The risk that your in situ cancer should spread is very small and remote. However, there is an increased risk of a breast cancer in your right breast. That risk will be reduced by Tamoifen. Good luck!

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!
The language problem I have had with the payment site has been solved!

Oncology (General Cancer)

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.