Oncology (General Cancer)/Exessive High Total Count Value in Blood for a Cancer Patient

Question
My mother 80 year old suffering from Lung Cancer with metastatic bone now is in hospital.Her Total Count in Blood has reached 45000.High dose antibiotics were applied,but No Improvement.
Whether her infection level has reached Septicimia Stage.Whether Discharge from the hospital can be sought for or death can be waited at hospital itself.We are apprehensive that adequate palliative may not be provided at home.Hospital is interested for release of the patient."

Answer
I assume you are talking about a white blood cell count.  It isn't unusual for a person with metastatic cancer to have a very high white blood cell count, even if there is no infection.  With metastatic cancer and given her age, it's not likely that she has very long to live and I would agree that keeping her comfortable is the best thing.  If she has no fever, or just a very low-grade fever, I would assume that she doesn't have an infection and not use antibiotics.  If she has a high fever, then antibiotics might make her a bit more comfortable.  Hope this helps and I hope you get the palliative care you need.  

Oncology (General Cancer)

Donald Higby, M.D.