Oncology (General Cancer)/B-ell lymphoma

hi, my first cousin (male; current age 23, don't have any other disease like diabetics etc but only tonsil inflammation time to time since teen age) was diagnosed with B-cell Lymphoma in about Aug,Sept of 2011 in treatment he had a surgery to remove the mass collected in his brain followed by MTX chemothrapy and radiotherapy.
He was living a healthy and active life till November 2014 (healthy declared in routine follow up checkup) but now since january this year, he started to face some vision and hearing problem and has diagnosed again with some mass being collected in his brain due to lymphoma.
The doctor has given an option of Chemo + Laser and chemo + bone marrow transplant (taken from the same patient previous to chemo).
what is best to opt for, what is survival rate at this age after bone marrow transplant??? and what are the side effects of this transplant?

brain lymphomas are very hard to cure, and I think your cousin doesn't stand much of a chance either way.  There is only so much radiation that can be given to the brain, and the fact that the lymphoma grew back after the standard treatment suggests that it might very well have developed "broad spectrum" resistance.  Of the two options you've presented, I'd go for the chemo plus bone marrow autotransplant.  I think that would be more likely to buy reasonable time.  Survival rate is very high for autotransplant when done by people who know what they are doing.  The side effects include hair loss, mucositis, diarrhea, infection, and sometimes lung problems down the line, depending on what kind of high-dose chemotherapy is being given.  Hope this helps.  

Oncology (General Cancer)

Donald Higby, M.D.

I can answer almost all questions related to the treatment and natural course of most kinds of cancer, especially cancers of prostate, colon, lung and breast.

I have been a practicing medical oncologist for 36 years, and have been chief of service at a major medical center for 25 years. I've also done research in cancer treatments.

American Society of Clinical Oncology

New England Journal of Medicine American Journal of Medicine Journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology Hematology Transfusion Medicine

MD, Stanford University Internal Medicine residency, St. Louis University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO Medical Oncology Fellowship, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY

America's Best Physicians, last 14 years