Oncology (General Cancer)/High WBC

Question
My son is 7 yrs old.  He seemed fine this morning & sick when I picked him up from school.  We went straight to the doctor where they found him to have a wbc of 16,000.  He was feeling worse as the afternoon went on, w/ fever (101.6) & complaining of a bad headache & stomach pain. He tested negative for strep throat.  The doctor seemed pretty concerned saying to call if he got worse tonight or to call with an update in the morning to see if I need to bring him back.  I was wondering what is an average level of wbc for leukemia to present?  Thanks in advance.

Answer
His symptoms, signs and his wbc level do not make me think of a leukemis. Instead they and his case history indicate an infection. His abc is only moderately elevated as in an infection not a leukemia!

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!
The language problem I have had with the payment site has been solved!

Oncology (General Cancer)

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.