Oncology (General Cancer)/Anal Cancer

I had anal carcinoma in situ for the past 4 years, every year it was removed, but twice the pathology report said that it was not fully removed and then it was successfully removed(it was further than the exition border) What are the chances that there will be a tumor again, seeing that it was every year and what areas will it most likely spread to? I don't know if a operation every year is going to sove the problem. The oncologist said that radiation etc is not necessary.

These carcinomas tend to be extremely slow growing and usually don't spread.  The appropriate treatment is to try to excise them surgically.  It's a matter of balance; if you had removal of your anus and anal sphincter, you would need a colostomy.  If they tried to treat it with radiation, there would be a significant chance that sooner or later it would recur, and then the radiation changes in the normal tissue would make it difficult to treat with local resection.  So in balance, it's better to have several minor surgeries than something major.  The other issue is that you aren't clear as to whether these are new anal carcinomas or the old one that keeps coming back.  People with anal carcinoma very often have human papilloma virus infection, and the rest of the anal tissue is at risk for carcinomas.  Your best bet is to have the area looked at and removal of new lesions when they pop up.  

Oncology (General Cancer)

Donald Higby, M.D.

I can answer almost all questions related to the treatment and natural course of most kinds of cancer, especially cancers of prostate, colon, lung and breast.

I have been a practicing medical oncologist for 36 years, and have been chief of service at a major medical center for 25 years. I've also done research in cancer treatments.

American Society of Clinical Oncology

New England Journal of Medicine American Journal of Medicine Journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology Hematology Transfusion Medicine

MD, Stanford University Internal Medicine residency, St. Louis University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO Medical Oncology Fellowship, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY

America's Best Physicians, last 14 years