Oncology (General Cancer)/Alternative Treatments to Ciliochoroidal Malignant Melanoma

Question
This morning, my grandma was diagnosed with ciliochoroidal malignant melanoma. The treatment recommended to her is removing the eye that has the cancer.

She, of course is very upset (who wants to lose an eye?).

Are you aware of alternative treatments for this condition that don't involve losing an eye?

Answer
Hi Igor. I can understand the stress your family is facing. There are alternative treatments like antiagniogenic drugs and immunomodulators. But Melanomas of the ciliary body are thought to be more malignant due to the rich bloody supply of the tissue, thus allowing increased risk of hematogenous spread which means the spread through blood vessels to other parts of the body like liver etc. which can lead to an uncontrollable situation. A related experince of a patientL http://www.melanoma.org/find-support/patient-community/cure-om-forum/ciliochoroi

The other problem is that radiation therapy can not be given easily in the eye. though chemotherapy should be tried to see if there is good response. Thus I advice to take chemotherapy for 1 to 2 weeks and if there is no reduction in the cancer affected area, go for removal of the eye as the safe option to save life.

Oncology (General Cancer)

Dr M Khalid Munir