Oncology (General Cancer)/Anal Cancer and Rectal Polyps

Question
QUESTION: I had anal carcinoma in situ for the past 4 years and it was removed successfully every year. I went for a colonoscopy and there is no anal abnormalities, but 2 polyps in the rectum. It is quite large(< 2 cm) , but the surgeon said it does not look malignant.(Waiting for biopsy results) If it is benign, do you think it should be removed? I am 56, female. Thank you

ANSWER: Yes I think they should be removed! The longer they are there the bigger they will be. The bigger they are the bigger the risk of cancer! Have they found and removed anal cancers in situ (stage 0) 4 times?! I do recommend post surgical radiation therapy if that is the case!

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!
The language problem I have had with the payment site has been solved!

QUESTION: Thank you very much for the answer. Yes 4 times, but the head of the oncology practice agreed with the surgeon that no radiation is neccessary in my case. Is the site with the link free of charge?

Answer
I am NOT sure I agree with that no radiation is necessary after anal cancers reappear 3 times after the first! I do suggest a local second opinion!  No it is not free of charge but the charge is decided after a negotiation with me. Good luck!

Oncology (General Cancer)

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.