Oncology (General Cancer)/Polyps?

Question
QUESTION: Dear Larry
I have been suffering from dizziness and balance problems I had A cats can that revealed that  my brain was clear no mass or haemorrhage or abnormality, no fluid collection, normal pneumatisations of the middle ear cavity and mastoid air cells ,What does that mean? Ears appear normal
no petrous temporal soft tissue mass or bony distraction.Mild to moderate polyeoid inflammatory mucosal thickening in both maxillary sinuses significantly worse on the left minor mucosal thickening in the left sphenoid sinuses remaining paranasal sinuses clear
result no intercranial or petrous temporal  abnormality demonstrated.
Now my question Years ago I was diagnosed by a cats can and Endoscope down nasal passages with sinus infection and polyps how do you tell the difference with polyps against nasal tumours I was ok until I googled nasal polyps and it said you cannot tell the difference with polyps or tumours now I am scared again .I suffer from health phobia ,My ears are ringing and buzzing and I feel sick
Can you reassure me, I think I will stay off Google search, smiling Thank you so much
Helen

ANSWER: I am not Larry but your question came to me. Mistake? Most of what was found was just normal no indications of anything abnormal at all. To discuss that further is just to get lost in technicalities. Now to your main question. Your polyps. You ask how to see any difference between a benign polyp and a cancer. Well that is done by biopsies. A pathologist studies the biopsies by microscope and decides if it is a cancer or not. I do not know if any biopsies were done or not but since you mention that this was done quite some time ago, many years ago, you would most probably be quite ill by now if any cancer had been involved. So I think you can be calm. Good luck!

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!
The language problem I have had with the payment site has been solved!

QUESTION: Thank you so much for your reply
I have never had a biopsy just A camera down the throat and the specialist said I have polyps in both nasal passages. So how could he tell if it was polyps against tumours?. Can sinus infection really cause this balance problem?
thank you for answering me even though you were not the person it was intended for, your kindness is much appreciated
Regards  Helen

Answer
OK, so no biopsy. But that examination was done years ago. If it had been cancer your condition now would tell us that with certainty. So since you can still ask the question it most probably was not cancer. Yes infections in that area can cause vertigo and dizziness. But I am here ONLY as a cancer doctor so any questions outside that field should be directed to an ear-nose-and-throat surgeon. Good luck!

Oncology (General Cancer)

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.