Oncology (General Cancer)/Fungus on toe is it cancer?

Question
Hello! My 7 year old daughter has fungus on her toe and i read somewhere that this kind of fungu is called candida. What is the relation of this with the candida that causes cancer? How much should i worry about this and is there anything i can do to protect her? Please doctor help me! From the moment i read about it i am so desperate and there isn't anybody here in Cyprus that i can trust. Thank you!

Answer
Candida does not cause skin infections on the toes.  It's more likely that she has a tinea infection, which are common on the feet.  Although Candida is associated with poor immune systems, which in turn can occur with certain kinds of cancer, it doesn't cause cancer.  Tinea doesn't either, and isn't even associated with immune problems.  There are medications that treat tinea, and a physcian could presecribe them; or you could try a "natural" remedy, one of which is vinegar soaks.  Hope this helps.  

Oncology (General Cancer)

Donald Higby, M.D.