Oncology (General Cancer)/Withdrawal of Transdermal Patch

Question
Respected Sir,
         My 84 year mother suffering from lung cancer and presently on Gefitinb has no problem in lungs for last two years.But she has developed severe shoulder pain for which Buprenorphin(10) Transdermal Patch has been prescribed by the Pain Management Specialist and the pain has reduced considerably .I would like to know during withdrawal of the opeoid patch what mode and precautions have to be taken.With thanks.

Answer
It would probably be better not to withdraw the patch.  The side effects from withdrawal include nausea, sweating, agitation, and of course a flare up of pain, depending on how long she's been on the patch.  Withdrawal from a pain patch should be accompanied by small doses of oral narcotics to ease the side effects; in other words, slow gradual withdrawal.  Hope this helps.  

Oncology (General Cancer)

Donald Higby, M.D.