Oncology (General Cancer)/Kidney cancer

Question
Back in March of this year my father-in-law began to have blood in his urine. After repeated testing and scans, the physicians were unable to find anything of concern.  At the end of June he began to experience fatigue, loss of appetite and more blood in his urine. When he went back to the Dr. They found a tumor in his kidney and admitted him the first week of July.  At this point in time the scan showed a dramatic increase in the tumor and areas of concern in his lung, lymph node, and spine.  10 days later he underwent surgery to remove the kidney. It had grown to the size of a large grapefruit.  Now the physicians are saying that the areas in his lung and spine have increased in size. They are a also stating that they have not seen a cancer this aggressive. The speed at which it has grown is incredible. Testing has determined that it is indeed stage IV.
My question is what kind of cancer are we possibly dealing with? Are there treatment options?

Answer
You are most probably dealing with a primary kidney cancer (a cancer originating in one of his kidneys - the one it has been found in) and which has spread to his lungs, his spine and to some of his lymph nodes. It is possible that instead it is originating somewhere else and has spread from there to his kidney and these other places. That alternative however is, based on that such a site has yet not been found, far less likely. So I believe it to be a primary kidney cancer. Based on its apparent rapid growth speed and its apparent ability to spread fast to other sites it must be a very fast growing and aggressive variant of kidney cancer. Microscopic studies of the tumor in his kidney by a pathologist has probably confirmed that it is a kidney cancer and a very fast growing and aggressive variant of it. Other studies have probably also confirmed that it has spread to those other sites which automatically makes it a stage 4 tumor.
If my conclusions are correct this is a very difficult cancer to treat and his prognosis is very bad. Radiation therapy is usually not of much help in cases of kidney cancer and chemotherapy is also usually not much better but may be tried. The fact that his case already is a stage 4 case also makes his prognosis most doubtful. I am sorry I have nothing better to tell you!

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!
The language problem I have had with the payment site has been solved!

Oncology (General Cancer)

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.