Oncology (General Cancer)/Mole or melanoma?

Hello Dr.

I'm a 29 year old woman with no personal history of cancer. My mother had breast cancer at age 52.

I've recently noticed a new mole appeared near the outside of my breast, close towards the axilla. I first saw it around 3-4 months ago  (can't remember precisely) and I think it was around 1-1.5mm in size because I remember I thought it looked like other moles I have which are this size.

This week I've looked at it again and I think it has grown, it looks a bit bigger than before and bigger than the rest of the moles that I thought it looked like. I measured it and it's around 2-2.5mm.

Last year in August I went to the beach (used 50SPF sunscreen and sat under the umbrella when I wasn't bathing). However this new mole doesn't appear in the pictures so I'm guessing I didn't have it.

The mole is small, oval and looks normal, but it bothers me that it seems to have grown. Can a regular mole also grow? And what should I go? Take it out asap or wait to see if it grows more?

Here are some pictures:

Thank you so much

Moles can go through spurts of growth.  Your mole looks benign to me.  Sharp borders, a relatively uniform color, and a smooth surface are more likely to be associated with a benign mole.  You should measure it carefully about every two weeks.  If you think it is getting bigger, even though it appears benign, that would be a reason to get another opinion.  I've had a mole removed from my thigh because, even though I was intellectually certain that it was benign, it was starting to drive me crazy.  Removing it was a better alternative to psychiatric treatment.  I now have another mole on my side which doesn't bother me as much and I haven't worried about it.  But bottom line, I'm pretty sure it's benign.  Hope this helps.  

Oncology (General Cancer)

Donald Higby, M.D.

I can answer almost all questions related to the treatment and natural course of most kinds of cancer, especially cancers of prostate, colon, lung and breast.

I have been a practicing medical oncologist for 36 years, and have been chief of service at a major medical center for 25 years. I've also done research in cancer treatments.

American Society of Clinical Oncology

New England Journal of Medicine American Journal of Medicine Journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology Hematology Transfusion Medicine

MD, Stanford University Internal Medicine residency, St. Louis University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO Medical Oncology Fellowship, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY

America's Best Physicians, last 14 years