Oncology (General Cancer)/precautions after radioactive iodine therapy

Question
You probably know that humans and cats are treated with radioactive iodine for hyperthyroidism. My cat is being treated next week, the facility specializes in the procedure, so I trust them not to release him until his radioactivity is low enough for him to come home. I plan to ask them the below questions but they are not experts in radioactivity.

I've searched the internet and some of the suggested aftercare precautions I've read are not specific. It states his urine and feces shouldn't be touched and should be sealed in plastic and stored outdoors for a month, we can do that easily. He's not supposed to be near children or pregnant women, that's no problem.

My concern is the advice to avoid close contact with him for at least 2 weeks, the guidelines are unclear. I understand we should avoid touching him directly. Everything that he uses or touches at the facility will be discarded of course but are the food and water dishes he uses during the 2 weeks also contaminated, or any clothing or bedding he contacts? Does normal washing with soap and water reduce or eliminate the radioactivity? Is there any specially protective clothing we can wear to minimize the risk?

Thanks for any advice.

Theo

Answer
I know this procedure well! My mother was treated with this method in the early 1950ies for hyperthyroidism and I do remember that well. And I have also myself treated a large number of human patients with this method in the 1970ies. Do not have the cat in your laps or close to you for a couple of weeks. Normal washing of the dishes is good enough to dilute and remove any traces from them. No special clothing is necessary. There is no need to be afraid if these simple rules are followed for a couple of weeks. Almost all radioactivity ends up in the thyroid gland of the cat. Small amounts in its salivary glands. Almost nothing in the rest of the cat. So there is no need to exaggerate any danger. The physical half life of the iodine isotope is short so it will radiate away fast. And on top of that there are also biological processes that will eliminate the iodine from the body of the cat. The combined effects of these processes will ensure that your cat is completely harmless after a couple of weeks. It is the simplest, easiest and fastest method of treating hyperthyroidism in both humans and animals. And also in fact one of the safest. Good luck!

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!
The language problem I have had with the payment site has been solved!

Oncology (General Cancer)

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.