Oncology (General Cancer)/Differentiated VIN2

I had recently asked you a question. The lesions that went from atypia and possible vin to VIN2 were in the same spot. I had a bilateral partial vulvectomy yesterday.  The gynocoligic oncologist is pretty sure that he got clear margins. He doesn't think that I have cancer but of course can't be sure until pathology comes back. I am a non smoker and do not have HPV.  My longstanding lichen sclerosis is must likely to cause of this nightmare!   

Should I anticipate going through this again or is there a chance that continued maintenance use of clobetasol can keep recurring VIN at bay?

Well, I hope you won't go through this again; generally the genetic changes are limited to certain areas, which in your case have been removed.  I would continue maintenance debetasol and follow-up with your doctor as needed.  And you are probably right; the lichen sclerosis is probably associated with your problem.  However, with the partial vulvectomy you might have much less of that than before.  In sum, I would suspect that you won't have to go through this again.  

Oncology (General Cancer)

Donald Higby, M.D.

I can answer almost all questions related to the treatment and natural course of most kinds of cancer, especially cancers of prostate, colon, lung and breast.

I have been a practicing medical oncologist for 36 years, and have been chief of service at a major medical center for 25 years. I've also done research in cancer treatments.

American Society of Clinical Oncology

New England Journal of Medicine American Journal of Medicine Journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology Hematology Transfusion Medicine

MD, Stanford University Internal Medicine residency, St. Louis University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO Medical Oncology Fellowship, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY

America's Best Physicians, last 14 years