Oncology (General Cancer)/Differentiated VIN2

I have had lichen sclerosis for 26 years. Until recently, biopsies never showed atypia.  6 months ago, a biopsy showed atypia and possible early focal VIN.  I was treated with Imiqumod for 3-4 months.  When there was no visible lesion, I was told to continue using Imiqumod for the mire weeks then stop using it. Although there was no visible lesion, I felt as if something was there.  6 weeks later there were two lesions, significantly worse than the prior lesion.  Biopsy results show differentiated high grade VIN2 for both lesions.  I was sent to a gynocolic oncologist who is doing a partial bilateral vulvevtomy next week

Does the fact that I went from one lesion with .POSSIBLE early focal VIN to two areas (kissing lesions) of high grade VIN2 in a short period of time despite using Imiqumod increase the chances of ending up with cancer?

The short answer to your question is yes. I would be very concerned about an initially responsive lesion followed by lesions which actually probably began during the imiqumod treatment.  The proper thing to do is to resect the tissue, which is what your gyneocolgist is doing, and further treatment would be based on the findings at that time.  Hope this helps.  Keep me posted.  

Oncology (General Cancer)

Donald Higby, M.D.

I can answer almost all questions related to the treatment and natural course of most kinds of cancer, especially cancers of prostate, colon, lung and breast.

I have been a practicing medical oncologist for 36 years, and have been chief of service at a major medical center for 25 years. I've also done research in cancer treatments.

American Society of Clinical Oncology

New England Journal of Medicine American Journal of Medicine Journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology Hematology Transfusion Medicine

MD, Stanford University Internal Medicine residency, St. Louis University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO Medical Oncology Fellowship, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY

America's Best Physicians, last 14 years